Many Australians like to believe that gardening is a time-consuming and complicated activity that only people with green thumb would enjoy. However, the truth is, almost anyone may find gardening and landscaping a fun and relaxing hobby. You don’t have to be a professional gardener to be able to come up with beautiful and tranquil garden, as long as you can devote your time and effort into it, you will do great.
If you are new to gardening, there are several things you need to wrap your mind into. First, you should know that gardening is not only about watering your plants and keeping them away from pests and weeds. In order to maximize the full potentials of your garden, you might want to consider these helpful and simple tips:
- If you plant does not need too much soil then it is advisable to make its pot or box lighter. Heavy pots and boxes are naturally harder to lift, and they become an extra chore if you find the need to relocate them from time to time. This is recommended to make them a little lighter by removing the bottom one-third to one-half of the pot’s or box’s soil and replace it with packing peanuts. This will make your plant pots and boxes much lighter and easier to lift.
- Don’t let your aggressive plants deprive your other plants with nutrients. Make sure to restrict your aggressive plants (if you have any) in order for their roots not to crowd your garden bed. You may do this by placing them in a plastic pot and bury them into the soil. This will prevent their roots from overcrowding your garden bed, protecting your other plants.
- If you have flower buds that always fall victim to insects, fret not because you can solve that problem with a simple trick. Place netting over the flower beds and leave it there. When the spring season comes, it is time to remove the net, or you may also keep there but cut holes in the cloth in order to facilitate growth of your flowers.
- Using an ordinary shovel for your garden may be a bit annoying as bunch of soil may get stuck on it. In order to prevent this, make yourself a non-stick shovel. Buy a silicone or Teflon lubricant and spray it on your garden shovel. This will make soil digging much easier and stress-free.
- Since you want to protect your garden from pesky insects and unwanted weeds, it is important that you invest on good quality garden sprayers filled with either herbicide or pesticide. Spray the affected plants to prevent or stop the infestation. However, make sure that you choose the chemicals that will not harm your precious plants, and that you carefully follow the instructions to avoid poisoning your garden.
- Get a good tank. If you have a large garden and your garden hose cannot reach the far areas of your landscape, it is better to have a portable water tank than to buy a longer hose. The portable tank will allow you to water all your plants without having to deal with tangling hose. You would also want to get a rainwater tank so when it rains, you can gather rainwater that you can use later on when you water your garden. You can buy good pieces of rainwater tank online or at your favourite garden supplies store.
Gardening should not be a complex activity. Once you know the tips and tricks to a good gardening maintenance, you will not be able to help it but to enjoy it even more. If you want to know more about gardening tips and tricks, you can always search for Just a word caution: once you get hooked up in gardening, it will become a habit hard to break. Have fun gardening!
Like the article? Subscribe to the Feeds Now!